Dressed to Impress: What a Tailor Can Do For You
You might need a tailor for several different reasons. Maybe you have some work uniforms that need to be altered. Or, you might want to have your clothes fit you just a bit better.
No matter what your reason, a tailor can help give your wardrobe a serious style boost. We’ll take a look at what a tailor is and how to choose the best tailor for your clothes altering needs.
Style Matters: What Does a Tailor Do?
If you need your clothes altered or tailored to fit you better, a tailor is your best bet. Though not a full list of tailoring options, here are a few things a tailor can do for you:
- Stitch and remove pockets
- Shorten dress straps
- Adjusting the length of a hemline
- Line a dress or other garment that is sheer with nude fabric
- Shorten shirt sleeves
Generally, a tailor will make sure that your clothes fit properly by making some adjustments to your clothes. Most tailors do work only on making alterations of already made clothes, but there are some tailors who may do custom work. Generally though, if you’re looking for a new garment to be sewn, you’ll want to look for a seamstress who will go beyond just tailoring your clothes.
Some tailors do specialize in a specific type of tailoring. And, when most people think about tailoring, they think of tailors who specialize in men’s suits. Most famous for this are the tailors found on Savile Row in London.
Of course, you don’t have to be in London to get a great fitting tailored suit. There are many tailors throughout the United States that you can use. The Custom Tailors & Designers Association offers a listing of tailors of all different certifications and levels.
Tailors often great services for both men and women too. From business clothes to formal attire, tailors can alter women’s clothes to look amazing.
It’s All About the Fit: Why Tailored Clothes are Better
Now that we have a good idea of what a tailor can do, let’s take a look at why getting your clothes tailored can make your wardrobe look even better.
- It’s All About Fit: Tailored clothes are made to fit you. Whether your pants are a bit long or your sweater is a bit too baggy, a tailor can make subtle adjustments to improve the look and fit of your clothes.
- Expand Your Wardrobe: Maybe you skipped buying that suit or those pants because they just didn’t fit quite right. Knowing you can use a good tailor to make alterations means you can pick out the clothes you want even if they don’t quite fit right off the rack.
- Extend the Life of Your Current Wardrobe: Maybe you’ve lost or gained a bit of weight. It happens. Tailoring can help extend the use of your favorite clothes, even if your body has changed a bit over the years. Plus, it’s a great way to breathe new life into something you packed away long ago because it didn’t fit just right.
- Be Unique: When you get something tailored, you’re getting something custom to you. If you’re looking to get a custom suit, you will get to pick out the fabric and other details too. This means you’re getting a one-of-a-kind look just for you.
- Feel Stylish: Having clothes that fit well and look great will give that extra bit of style to your wardrobe. Clothes that fit well look polished and stylish, no matter what.
To Tailor or Not To Tailor?
You’ve decided you want to use a tailor. But, what are the common types of clothes you’ll be bringing to them? Of course, it can be anything that needs to be altered or adjusted. Generally though, most people tend to have suits, business wear, and fancier clothing altered.
Getting a suit tailored and not sure where to start? Esquire shares 6 Rules for a Perfectly Tailored Suit that you’ll want to check out.
The Choice is Yours: Finding the Best Tailor
Not all tailors are created equal. And, we’ve probably all heard our fair share of bad tailor stories. But, finding the best tailor doesn’t have to be that hard. Like most services, word of mouth and recommendations from your friends and family is a good place to start. Does anyone you know use tailoring services? If so, get their recommendations and thoughts on who to go to in your area.
Of course, just because your friends and family like a specific tailor, doesn’t mean they are a great fit for you and your clothes. Do make sure to do some additional research online. There are plenty of review sites along with a tailor’s personal website that you could look at for more information about their services, prices, and reputation.
One place you might not think about to ask for a recommendation, but that can be a great resource is your local dry cleaner. They may partner with a local tailor. Though dry cleaners often do some alteration work, it’s usually repairs or simple jobs, rather than the kind of alterations you’ll want from a professional tailor.
Put Your Best Foot Forward
With a tailor, you’ll soon be on your way to looking your best with clothes that fit well and look great. You’ll love your clothes so much that you’ll find your first tailoring success the start of a beautiful friendship.